Friday, October 15, 2010

Mural Stencils Take A Trip to the Land Down Under...

Last month, as I was rubbing the sleepiness from my eyes, I saw I had an email from a gentleman, Darren Tan, in Australia. I could hardly contain my excitement... not only because this was Kids Decal Corner's first international sale but mostly because of the purpose behind the purchase. I asked Darren if he would share their inspiring story with us; so here it is...

Every year Darren and his co-workers from Lend Lease (http://www.bovislendlease.com.au/ourschools 
Lend Lease is an organization that has been appointed by the Australian government to oversee the design and construction of new educational facilities and refurbishing primary schools in multiple regions of Australia.)
gather together and volunteer their time and and services to "give back" to their community.

This year, Cromehurst School ( http://www.cromehurst-s.schools.nsw.edu.au/index.html ) were the blessed recipients. This school focuses on caring for individuals with  behavioral, mental and physical disabilities.

  "Cromehurst School project was chosen because the focus of the school is on their students and as a special needs school, there is a high priority to prepare students for their next environment while also catering for their individual needs. Due to this, the school does not have the time to beautify their environment themselves." says Darren Tan ( the group leader for Lend Lease's 15th Annual Community Day ).

The school was in need of some maintenance and beautifying. Using the Wild Safari Jungle Mural Stencil kit, Darren and his friends painted the outside brick wall with elephants, giraffes, lions and all kinds of other wild creatures to create a truly fun and inspiring environment for the special students that attend there every day! Here are some pictures of their finished project. Great job, guys!!!




"This is Lend Lease’s 15th consecutive Community Day, and since the initiative began in 1996, employees have volunteered over 450,000 hours worldwide." Now, that's impressive!

I have truly been inspired by Darren and his coworkers to find a way to give back to the community in which I live. I'm currently investigating how Kids Decal Corner can be apart of more wonderful projects like this one!
It's stories like this that make all the hard work of owning my own business while being a stay at home mom worth while. In a small way, I felt like I was apart of Lend Lease's efforts... and thus far it has been the most rewarding sale ever made! 

I would love to hear any feedback from you, my readers, of ideas or stories that you would have of similar ways that Kids Decal Corner could become involved in making the world for kids a more beautiful and inspiring place to be! If you're aware of any schools, day-cares, after school programs, hospitals, etc that are in need of some TLC... I would love to know about them! I'd be excited to see how we could help them out.

And here's a great bid THANK YOU to Darren for giving me the privilege of being apart of this! Blessings to all of you for the way you care for the people in your community!!!  You've inspired me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment